A week has already passed since the release of Lori Baltazar’s Dessert Comes First: The Book, and we haven’t stopped drooling over the sumptuous food shots, and planning when we will try out the featured recipes.
Lori is hard at work with one more event for the launch of the title, the Dessert Comes First Fans’ Day and Food Bazaar on September 21, where the chefs featured in it will be sampling and selling their goodies. Here are some of the reasons we think you should join in the fun of having your own copy of book and coming for the party!
1. That great teaser of a cover. Red lips, an apron to covet, and the cheescake of our dreams.
2. The Cheesecake Recipe.
Lori includes her trademark cheesecake recipe in the book. She explains, “It’s a recipe that I’ve been tweaking, perfecting, since my early twenties.”
“It’s a plain New York Cheesecake, but it’s about five inches high with a very special nut crust. And everyone I’ve served it to falls for it. Hard.” she adds with a smile. Click here: http://youtu.be/VwwgaXNeKt8?t=39s to listen to Lori talk about the cheesecake some more!
3-12. The ten featured chefs and their recipes. Lori profiles ten of her favorite chefs in the book, including Tina Diaz, Ricky Morelos, Roshan Samtani, Ed Bugia, Gina J. Lopez and Him Uy de Baron. They also share their own recipes! Listen to Lori talk about two of her favorite ones, Braised Wagyu Beef Cheeks and the best Banoffee Pie she’s ever had: http://youtu.be/VwwgaXNeKt8?t=2m24s.
13. Food passion at its finest. What better way to read about food than from someone who loves it and is passionate about it? Watch the end credits of this video to watch Lori try to contain her excitement: http://youtu.be/VwwgaXNeKt8?t=7m45s.
14. Delicious food writing. Lori is known for how detailed and enthusiastic she can be when describing how she experiences a dish. Readers are always left wanting to try it immediately afterwards!
15. New content. Dessert Comes First: The Book includes a few of Lori’s most popular essays from the blog, as well as “about 75% new material.” If you’ve always liked what you’ve read on the website, you’ll love what’s in the book: http://youtu.be/VwwgaXNeKt8?t=2m2s.
16. BONO Gelato’s Lori Sundae. For a limited time only, BONO Gelato is offering The Lori sundae: dulce de leche ice cream with flambeed bananas, chocolate syrup and peanut brittle crumble, a flavor inspired Lori’s Banana-Que Oven Pancake recipe found in the title. When you purchase the book, you also get a coupon that allows you to get the sundae at a discounted price!
“It is sweet and sensual, an imaginate rendering stoking cool desires,” Lori describes. Read her full description of the sundae here: http://dessertcomesfirst.com/archives/11752/.
17. Cupcakes by Sonja’s Dessert Comes First cupcake. Cupcakes by Sonja has also created a sweet for Lori. The Dessert Comes First cupcake is as Lori describes:
“This cupcake references peanut butter, my forever-favorite, with my current love for cookie butter. A lush, yellow cake is the canvas in which these two butters – peanut and cookie – combine, a marbling that merges in the mouth and melds into the mind. A bite into buttery bliss surrenders a center of speculoos ganache, a nugget of nirvana. This is my cupcake fantasy fulfilled, frosted as it is with speculoos and capped with a cookie.”
Present your Fully Booked receipt for the Dessert Comes First book at the Cupcakes by Sonja stores, and you can get half a dozen of the cupcakes at P15% off. 🙂
18. A peek into Lori’s past. The first few pages take us on Lori’s journey from blog owner to author, and even features a photo of our last collaboration with her: as a Fully Booked brand ambassador during last year’s Live the Story campaign!
19. The stunning food photography. If her words aren’t enough to make you drool over a dish, her images will definitely do the trick. All the photos in the book (save for the cover and the chefs’ portraits) were carefully styled, lit and shot by Lori herself!
Take a look at two of our favorites, and check out her Instagram profile for more convincing: http://instagram.com/dessertcomes1st.
20. World travel photography and tips on what to eat abroad. Italy, Japan, London… Lori documents and shares her travel and taste stories from abroad, telling us about her experiences with foreign cuisine!
21. The menu on the 21st. On September 21, 2013, the Dessert Comes First Fans’ Day will not only be a book signing event, but will also feature food from eight of the chefs Lori wrote about in the book, and five of her favorite purveyors at the moment.
Here’s a screengrab of just one part of the menu next Saturday. The full list (and mechanics for registration) can be found here: http://dessertcomesfirst.com/archives/11728/.
We’re getting hungry and excited just thinking about Saturday!! For more information on the event and registration, please visit dessertcomesfirst.com and read the guidelines carefully! See you!!