Not all storytellers are writers. But they can become writers—great writers, even—with practice and an eagerness to learn.
If you have a lot of your own stories that you would like to share with others, and want to learn how to write about them in a respectable, creative manner, consider enrolling in TalkShop’s Creative Writing workshop to help you get started!
Think of all the bloggers, fanfic writers, and self-published authors that have incredible stories to tell, but lack the ability to tell them well. While a few have managed to become best-selling authors in spite of their, shall we say, less-than-stellar writing, we should not use this as an excuse to pass on an opportunity to learn how to do it better.
Do you want to write a poem or prose about your inner most feelings? Essays or opinion pieces about current events? Short or full length stories inspired by a powerful dream? You can write about anything you want in any style you want, so long as you have the right foundation. TalkShop offers a comprehensive course in Creative Writing for aspiring writers who want to learn the components of correct and effective writing, as well as the styles of creative and meaningful self-expression.
TalkShop CEO, Sheila Viesca, walks her students through TalkShop’s brand of Creative Writing:
- It is both a technical and creative course that will help you unlock your imagination through exercises that will also strengthen your general skills in writing. We will begin with an overview of the Art of Creation, and help you set your objectives and expectations for the duration of the course.
- Next, you will learn about the difference between creativity and innovation, and techniques to improve your creativity—how to let go of your inhibitions to unleash your imagination. Moving into creativity development, we will demonstrate free-writing, how to express thoughts and emotions, and show you what writing devices you can work with.
- We will then take you through a guided learning session, where you can make full use of literary devices, how to “show”(not simply “tell”) your stories, and how to self-evaluate and proofread your writing.
- A Creative Writing workshop would of course be incomplete without a lot of writing! This next part is a deep dive into the various types of Creative Composition: imaginative writing, narrative writing, descriptive writing, and synthesis writing.
- From a technical standpoint, you will get to review the rules and application of grammar, such as the parts of speech, phrases, and symbols, principles of composition, writing forms including business styles, language format, voice and color, common errors in word relations, idioms, dialects, figures of speech and jargon, and other styles and exceptions due to dual meanings, foreign languages, and standards, as well as other do’s and don’ts.
- At the end of the course, we will come up with a unique recommendation based on your output, and leave you with an action plan to help you continue to progress.
If there was ever a time you shied away from sharing your imaginative thoughts with others because you were unable to articulate your stories through writing, you now know these hesitations can be overcome. And who knows? You could be on your way to becoming one of the next celebrated storytellers out there.
December 23, 2015 / Wednesday
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Forum, 4F, Fully Booked BGC
Book your seat today!
Sign up on www.talkshop.ph or call (632) 894 5588 or 0917 877 5588.